Rental Assistance for Tenants in Income-Restricted Housing
Housing assistance is now available through a streamlined, property owner/manager driven process for your tenants who have rental arrearages as a result of the COVID-19 health crisis.
Rental assistance is available for all tenants of developments with income restrictions of 80% AMI or below who:
- Are not currently receiving project or tenant-based rental assistance;
- Have rental arrearages for any period between March 2020 and December 2020, and;
- Are other-wise in compliance with the terms of their lease.
Property owners/ managers who agree to the participation requirements (see below) are eligible to receive 100% of the back rent owed from all tenants currently in arrears (for any period between March 2020 and through to December 2020).
- 80% Area Median Income Limits – FY2020
- Participating Tenant Spreadsheet (PDF)
- Landlord certification
Affordable rental developments with income restrictions of 80% AMI or lower that agree to the conditions outlined below.
- Tenants who are not currently receiving project or tenant-based rental assistance;
- Have a household income at or below 80% of Area Median Income;
- Have rental arrearages for any period between March 2020 and December 2020;
- Other than rental arrears, are in compliance with the terms of their lease.
In order to participate in the program, property owners/managers MUST agree to the following conditions:
- ALL tenants in a participating development who have rental arrearages for any period between March 2020 and December 2020 but are otherwise in compliance with the terms of their lease MUST be offered assistance (arrearages prior to March 2020 are not eligible for rental assistance under this program);
- The property owner/manager will waive any outstanding late fees or other nonpayment penalties that participating tenants have accumulated since March 1, 2020;
- For 90 days after the first of the month in which the final rental payment was paid by HousingHelp RI/Safe Harbor, the property owner/manager will forbear from sending a rental demand notice; charging new fees or penalties for late payment; sending a notice of termination of tenancy; or filing an eviction complaint, unless for material non-compliance with the rental agreement or the Rhode Island Residential Landlord Tenant Act other than nonpayment of rent in consideration of the payment of up to six months of rent.
- If an Eviction Complaint has been filed for nonpayment: the landlord/property manager agrees to dismiss the case and authorizes Housing Help RI/Safe Harbor to notify the District Court of Rhode Island that the landlord has agreed to dismiss the eviction case and the court file sealed.
1. Property Owners/Managers fill out a brief online application form with their name, organization, address, phone, email and the developments that will be participating
2. They will then receive an email instructing them how to create an account and upload the required information which will include:
- W-9, bank account information and proof of ownership
- Completed spreadsheet/s of eligible tenants with rental arrearages for any period between March to December of 2020 (one spreadsheet per development)
- Government issued ID of tenant if available
(Driver’s license, passport, state issued ID, municipality/city issued ID)
- Landlord certification on the accuracy of the information provided and attesting to compliance with program requirements
3. RIHousing staff will reach out to tenants for additional documentation if necessary
4. Funds will be distributed via direct deposit to the owner/property manager’s account.
If you have any questions regarding the available rental assistance, please contact Adriana De La Cruz, 401-457-1238 or email@example.com.